In many sectors, it is not necessary to validate and approve degrees to work or continue studying in a field. However, it is usually necessary in sectors related to health and education. These sectors are also special cases and may require more complicated processes if your goal is to work (and not to study).

There are two certificates that you can ask for:

  1. Statement of Comparability: Basically it is a comparison or translation of your title the British system.
  2. Career Path Report: This is an extension of the Statement of Comparability, describing in detail your qualifications, your grades (if applicable), and the skills you have been able to acquire to obtain the title in question, with equivalences to the British system. This document helps you interpret your training.
  3. European Supplement to the University Title: this is a document that you can ask in your Spanish university, which translates the courses you have taken and your qualification in them according to European Union regulations. You usually get it free the first time you do it, and then they charge you around 30 euros for each extra copy.

All this may sound complicated. The good? That there is an organization that can handle the Statement of Comparability and the Career Path Report so you do not have to complicate yourself: UK NARIC


The rates are not cheap, but at least you can save the money by taking your titles first to a sworn translator, since they can translate them themselves!

In this page you can find the qualifications that ask you to work in different professions, and the homologations of degrees that you must obtain in order to apply for these positions:


And in this web, the exact translation of jobs in UK:


Special cases to work with:

As mentioned above, there are additional requirements for the validation of qualifications related to health and education, if it is intended to work in that profession in Scotland.

The following page explains in detail how to approve the Spanish title of professor to work as a teacher in the United Kingdom, as well as what British studies allow us to work in this profession:


To work in health, as a medical doctor or nurse, it is necessary to join the British system (General medial Council for doctors and NMC (Nursing & Midwifery Council) for nursing). To join the NMC you must already be collegiate in Spain. Keep in mind that this process can last up to 3 months and that fees can add up to 100 pounds annually (plus 110 pounds of inscription). You will have to present the official form, criminal records, multilingual birth certificate, passport, medical documents and membership in Spain. Upon approval of the application, the NMC will grant you a membership PIN.

If you want to work as a GP in the UK (what they call GP), you must have specialized Family Doctor training or equivalent.

For study:

Below, the equivalences of the titles in Spanish to the titles in the United Kingdom appear.


Título en España Título en Reino Unido
Educación Primaria – Educación General Básica Primary Education
Educación Secundaria Obligatoria (ESO) / Bachillerato Unificado Polivalente (BUP) General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE)
Bachillerato / Curso de Orientación Universitaria (COU) General Certificate of Education (GCE)¹
Ciclo Formativo de Grado Medio (CFGM) / Formación Profesional de Primer Grado (FPI) Vocational Education and Training (VET)
Ciclo Formativo de Grado Superior (CFGS) / Formación Profesional de Segundo Grado (FPII) Higher National Certificate (HNC)
Técnico Superior Higher National Diploma (HND)
Diplomatura (3 años) Bachelor’s Degree (B)²

  • Bachelor of Science Degree (BSc)
  • Bachelor of Arts (BA)
  • Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
Licenciatura / Grado (por lo menos 4 años) Bachelor’s Degree with Honours (B (Hons))²

  • Bachelor of Science Degree with Honours (BSc(Hons))
  • Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BA(Hons))
  • Bachelor of Laws with Honours (LLB(Hons))
Ingeniería Técnica Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
Ingeniería Superior (por lo menos 4 años) Engineer’s Degree – Engineer Diploma (DI)
Postgrado (de 30 a 60 créditos ECTS) Graduate Certificate (PGCert)
Máster (de 60 a 120 créditos ECTS) Master’s Degree (M)²

àMaster of Science (MSc)

àMaster of Arts (MA)

Doctorado Doctorate (PhD)

The HNC lasts one year and allows you to enter directly into the second year of a degree, while the HND lasts two years and allows you to enter directly into the third year of a degree.