Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)

If you have had unsafe sex, consider having a routine STD review: chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis and AIDS, even if you do not have symptoms.

If you are worried about a particular event, but you have no symptoms, it is recommended to wait at least 10 days before a test is performed so that the disease can be shown on the test.

An STD test can be done:

  • In your GP (doctor of bedside).
  • At one of the “Local Sexual Health Clinics” clinics.
  • At Chalmers Sexual Health Center.

The ‘No Talk Testing’ Service is a simple way to get a review and is available Monday through Friday from 8.30am to 10am. In order to use this service, you must be over 18 and answer NO to all the following questions:

  • I have symptoms (e.g., bleeding, painful urination, pain in the testicles, pain in the lower stomach, lumps in the genitals or ulcers).
  • I have had sex with someone diagnosed with an STD.
  • I have had sex with someone diagnosed with AIDS or hepatitis.
  • I am a man who has had sex with people of the same sex (I am gay / homosexual / bisexual).
  • I am a woman who has had sex with a man who sleeps with other men.
  • They have sexually abused me.
  • I have injected drugs or had sex with someone who has injected drugs.
  • I have had sex with someone from a country outside of the UK, Western Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand.
  • At some point I paid or received money for sex.

If your answer to any of these questions is YES, you can call 0131 536 1070 for advice or look at the other sections. If your answer to all questions is NO, you can attend the “No Talk Testing” service.

It takes about 7 minutes to get tested, but remember, the clinic is well known and you will have to wait your turn to be taken care of. If the clinic is full, they may ask you to come another day.

Your GP can perform the same tests that are performed in the “No Talk Testing”, if you prefer to go there.

What tests are performed?

For women, a sample of the vagina (which the same patient can take) is collected for chlamydia and gonorrhoea, and a blood sample for syphilis and AIDS.

For men who have sex with men, they can go to the Gay Men’s Clinic in Chalmers Center, the Chalmers Clinic or any of their local clinics. Samples are collected from the throat and rectum (which the patient can take), as well as a urine sample for chlamydia, gonorrhoea, and a blood sample for syphilis and AIDS.