Floor Licensing

In the UK the rented dwellings are licensed to be rented. We have two options:

  • Normal and current license
  • HMO License

The Normal License

This license enables the house to be rented to two family groups, meaning that the house can be rented to:

  • Two people with no relationship
  • A person and a couple
  • Two couples
  • Tenants are direct relatives.

House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO)

These homes have a license that allows rent to a larger group of people, homes with 3 family nuclei must have this license, but also those where each tenant has a contract, is therefore that a two-room home may need an HMO If each tenant has a contract of his own.

HMO-licensed homes must also meet a number of requirements:

  • Doors must be closed automatically (shoes cannot be used to prevent them from closing)
  • The rooms must have the minimum to live, which would be a bed, a wardrobe and a chest of drawers, plus a window that illuminates the room, in addition to the heating.
  • The kitchen should have a kitchen with oven and grill (or multi-purpose oven, which already includes grill) and a refrigerator of reasonable size, with a maximum of 5 people per refrigerator
  • Bathrooms must be a maximum of 5 people and must have shower / tub and throne
  • Both the kitchen and bathroom should have a sink with hot and cold water.
  • Fire prevention plan:
    • Fire Alarms
    • Fire extinguishers
    • Fire blanket
    • An emergency plan that includes the escape route

So when you are looking for a home for 3 people or 3 rooms for you are three friends you must take into account the license with which the house has, since in some occasion you could find yourself in a home without HMO and this would indicate that the landlord does not You have the right license and therefore you are not legally on the floor.

You can find more information on Shelter Scotland ( http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/renting_rights/houses_in_multiple_occupation_hmos )